Saturday, December 13, 2008

The Beginning of the End

So...I've decided to create a blog. I really don't have an exciting life but hopefully someday I will and the pages of this blog will literally blow your mind. In the meantime I've just decided to write about one of my passions: music. And more specifically, the best kind of music: Indie music. I figure I'd just use this space to write reviews/analysis of my favorite bands and albums. It won't probably ever be read, but I couldn't care less. The only people that I discuss this type of stuff with (that are actually interested in it) are all on missions right now in various parts of the world. Well, except one...but she hasn't listened to ALL of the good stuff because of her busy life. Anyway, the point is that I don't think anyone wants to listen to me talk about this amazing music (I at least know my roommates don't) so I'll do the next best thing after talking to myself (because that's a sign of insanity): writing to myself.

I've always been a fan of music...rock 'n roll mostly. It probably comes from my upbringing. I grew up listening to my parents play some of the best music: Eagles, Styx, Billy Joel, Steve Miller Band, Pink Floyd, Boston, REO Speedwagon, Three Dog Night, ...the list goes on. Once I started into Jr. High and High School, I started getting into the mainstream music of the day: 3 Doors Down, Matchbox 20, Eve 6, and (shudder) Good Charlotte. While all those are fairly respectable bands (except maybe for G.C...I really don't know how/why I used to like that...Girls don't want boys, they want cars and money - I mean COME ON!), I didn't know what I was really missing out on until I returned from my mission in mid-2006. During this time, my younger brother, Skyler ,had found a new type of music, a better type of music - indie music (for the lay person - this is short for independent music ). In my opinion, this music is MUCH better than 90% of the "mainstream" music of the day (The other 10% would include Coldplay, Ben Folds, Guster, Death Cab, etc. - all of which are very talented groups).

Now, it took me a little while to get warmed up to this new type of music. At first I didn't care for it. Then once I got past the fact that it may have sounded a little weird, I actually started listening to it and I fell in love. What impresses me most is that these artists put so much emotion and creativity into their songs. You don't hear this stuff on the radio. In my opinion most of the music played on the radio today is mindless garbage. Okay...that may be a little biased and offensive, but it's what I think. Unadulterated refuse. Yuck. That's why I never listen to the radio... it makes me nauseous sometimes.

Some of this lesser-known music I've discovered is pure poetry. There is so much talent out there that people don't know about and so much that is being missed. I mostly listen to the indie rock/folk-rock genre. There is some indie pop that's pretty good as well.

Now, the purpose of this blog right now is to review of my top favorite indie albums to date. These are albums that I can listen to from beginning to end and virtually not get tired of the songs. I'll get to the other stuff after - that is if I keep myself entertained long enough with my writing.

I intend to write a quick review for each album and describe why I like it so much. In doing so I hope to more fully explain why Indie music is absolutely amazing and maybe get a few people that might find this to open their minds and try something new. And if somebody is already into this music, I hope to get some recommendations of music that you like.

Here's my top ten:

1. Okkervil River - The Stand Ins
2. Menomena - Friend & Foe
3. The Shins - Wincing the Night Away
4. Rocky Votolato - Suicide Medicine
5. The Decemberists - Picaresque
6. The Shins - Chutes Too Narrow
7. The Acorn - Glory Hope Mountain
8. The Decemberists - The Crane Wife
9. The Narwhal Crisis - Gire & Gimble
10. Canoe - Places

As "installments" to this note, I will post a short review of each album as I get around to it.
I will start with #10 and move up. So...coming soon: "Places" by Canoe.

Disclaimer: Okay...I admit that some (very few, actually) of the songs I listen to have some unsavory words. Don't judge me, ok? But really, I recognize that some people might get a hold of some music I recommend and be startled by the language in a song or two. I've made it a priority in my life to edit all inappropriate words from the music I own immediately after hearing it. I use CoolEdit Pro - a nice little sound file editor. Now, these songs and words are very few and far between. I hardly ever have to edit a song. So, if you want a song edited that you like, let me know and I'll help.

No comments:

Post a Comment