Monday, December 15, 2008

#10 - Places by Canoe

With this album being their debut it looks like there are only good things ahead for Canoe. I believe they are possibly my favorite (and in my opinion the best) indie-folk musicians. I almost hesitate to call these guys "indie" because they're music is so refined. Sometimes in the indie genre it's difficult to find a well-accomplished singer. Matt Hoiland's voice definitely the best voice indie voice out there that I've heard (Next would be Rolf Klausener of The Acorn). He has a great range and his voice is very refined and calming. A great addition his voice is his wife’s voice (Sofia Hoiland). Just listen to “Sing”. It’s amazing.

The definitely have a unique and great sound. You'd have to be completely devoid of a soul if you didn't find their music enjoyable. There is so much emotion in this album. That's one of the things that excites me about indie music - these people are performing for the sake of music - not for fame or glory. The amazing and contemplative lyrics they include are just the perfect compliment for their sound.

Speaking of the band members, the readers of this blog will find it interesting that at least 3 of the 5 band members are members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I think the other two might also be members, but I'm not sure. In a few songs they drop a few LDS terms such as "second estate" and "temple". It's kind of cool.

Now some comments about the album itself. If you want an absolutely chill album you can just listen to and relax, this is it. Also, if you want a very diversified album, you found it. Some of the songs are just short one-minute snippets while some are longer drawn-out ballads. You have some nice quiet music and then you have some songs that have some nice “rocking” moments. Also thrown in a couple songs is a little country-twang (I’m really not a fan of country, but the way Canoe pulled their twang off is forgivable).

The topics they touch upon are also diversified. Of course you have your expected love songs thrown into the mix (The Vineyards, Portrait). But you also have a song about the European immigration to America during the 1700/1800's, a absolutely beautiful road-trip song (The Redwoods – this makes me just want to lay down wherever I’m at and go to sleep), and not to mention a cover of Neutral Milk Hotel's (the pioneers of indie music) Holland, 1945. This is an amazing cover song (supposedly about Anne Frank), and as of today, my most played track in iTunes. This is the song that sold me on the album. I admit I'm not a huge fan of NMH (they're alright), but I have to say this cover song is many times better than the original.

All in all, this is a nice little album that's definitely worth a listen or two and I feel anyone would find it enjoyable. In fact, after two listens you'll probably be hooked. My little sister is absolutely crazy about this album. She stuck it in the family vehicle CD player and now even my mom has become a fan.

Go check it out.

2 comments:

  1. Michael,

    Thanks for the kind words! We google the net often for mention of Canoe and came across your blog.

    Actually, we're all members of the church. The other two band-mates you were wondering about are actually seminary teachers here in the Portland area.

    Again, thank you for sharing our music with the world and your family. Keep an ear and eye out for our new album later in the Spring. It's a huge step up musically and creatively for us, with 10 songs that we're very proud of.

    Hope all is well in Utah!

    Matt Hoiland

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! What a surprise! I doubt any other band will find my blog and post comments! That is awesome.

    I'm just trying to get the word out about you guys. That IS awesome you're all LDS. Anyway, thanks for the post and take care! I'm looking forward to the next album!

    ReplyDelete